5th Annual SomerStreets Series
The City of Somerville’s fifth annual SomerStreets series kicks off for summer 2014 with Carnaval @ SomerStreets on East Broadway on Sunday, June 1 from noon to 4 p.m. (rain or shine). SomerStreets is the City of Somerville’s take on the internationally-renowned Open Streets concept, closing busy city streets to vehicles, and opening them up for cycling, walking, dancing, running, and other modes of activity. Through SomerStreets, the City and its community partners aim to promote and encourage easy access to physical activity, fresh foods, and reconnecting with neighborhoods and businesses and their unique cultural elements in a thriving urban environment.
Join us as we Seize the Summer with programming along Highland Avenue from Walnut St. to Lowell St. Come and enjoy:
- Pony Rides at the Central Library from noon- 4 p.m.
- Explore emergency apparatus
- Pickle Ball, Imagination Blocks and other fun recreations activities
- Family Bike Ride from City Hall at 1 p.m.
- Knucklebones Activities
- Food and Entertainment on two stages
- Craft Fair at the Armory
And much much more!
SomerStreets 2014 Series Schedule:
|Strike Up the Bands - Sunday, September 7th||Holland St.-from Davis Sq. to Teele Sq.|
|MonsterMashed Up - Sunday, October 19th||Somerville Ave. from Union Square to Porter Square|
All SomerStreets events will run from 12-4 p.m., rain or shine.
Eastbound and westbound lanes of Highland Avenue from Walnut Street to Lowell Street:
- Closed to all vehicular traffic from 10 a.m. to noon
- No parking on either side of the street from 8 a.m. to 6 p.m.
- No parking at either the City Hall Concourse or Central Library parking lots 8 a.m.-6 p.m.
- One way streets will become two (2) way streets for the duration of the event.
Bus Schedule – buses will be rerouted from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. Please contact 311 for more information.
Residents who live on Highland Avenue, please call (857) 523-9017 in advance or on the day of the event, and City volunteers will assist you in leaving/returning to your property safely during the event. We apologize for any inconvenience, and cordially invite you to join us for this exciting event.